Walk the Predator Plank, do a pub crawl in a helicopter, sleep with sharks or zip line through the rainforest in Tropical North Queensland. Newly launched experiences taking in the Great Barrier Reef and the world’s oldest rainforest offer more ways to explore the only destination with two World Heritage areas side by side.
New to Tropical North Queensland
Visit Australia’s largest area of salt pans with the Gandalidda people to hear Dreamtime stories and look through giant telescopes at the outback’s stunning night sky.
Walk over crocodiles on the Predator Plank at Wildlife Habitat in Port Douglas, the world’s first plank over crocodile-inhabited waters.
Jungle Surfing Canopy Tour’s new platform in the world’s oldest rainforest has spectacular 360-degree views of the reef and rainforest plus a zipline that gets you up to speeds of 45km an hour.
Sleep with the Sharks on an overnight adventure at the Cairns Aquarium which includes an exclusive night tour, BBQ dinner and a bed overlooking the Coral Sea Habitat.
Craft beer tastings, cider and great pub food can be enjoyed on the Cairns waterfront at Hemingway’s Brewery which has transformed a heritage-listed wharf shed into an essential dining experience.
Try a pub crawl from the air with a Heli Pub Tour of the Atherton Tablelands taking in crater lakes, the world’s oldest rainforest and lunch at a distillery.
Wander the decks with your welcome drink taking in the lights of Cairns, before feasting on a three-course buffet dinner on the Spirit of Cairns calm water dinner cruise of Trinity Inlet.
Hot springs, scenic routes and historic mining towns are among the highlights of the 4WD adventure trails that have been added to Atherton Tablelands Trails.
Sunlover Funlover is the first dedicated events venue on the Great Barrier Reef offering customised corporate events and private parties in the middle of the Coral Sea.
Snorkel over an innovative reef restoration project at Quicksilver’s Agincourt Reef activity platform where coral growth is being stimulated by low voltage power to speed up its growth.
Papaya jam and banana bread made with fresh produce grown on the Skybury coffee plantation are on the menu at Skybury Café and Roastery where your coffee comes with an awesome view.
Swimming through waterfalls, jumping off cliffs and abseiling down boulders are all part of canyoning at Behana Gorge where you can spot yabbies while you snorkel.
Learn to dive on the doorstep of the Great Barrier Reef at the Quicksilver Port Douglas Dive Centre. The centre has a four-metre-deep diving pool with a glass viewing wall.
A behind-the-scenes tasting of 60 varieties of coffee and a personalised tour of Top 10 Australian museum Historic Village Herberton are part of the Billy Tea Safaris Atherton Tablelands tour.
- Riley, the first of three new Crystalbrook Collection hotels will open in November 2018. The five-star resort with 311 rooms on the Cairns Esplanade has a lagoon pool with a private beach.
- The Cairns Performing Arts Centre is set to open early 2019 as part of The Precinct in Cairns which incorporates the spectacular new Munro Martin Parklands outdoor performance space.
- Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina Cairns is redefining luxury in the city with the transformation of 184 guest rooms and the refurbishment of the waterfront restaurant during 2018.
- Five-star hotel Bailey will open on Abbott Street mid-2019 adding another 217 rooms to Cairns city. Boasting five restaurants and bars, it is the second of the Crystalbrook Collection hotels.
- Also under construction in the city is the Crystalbrook Collection’s five-star hotel Flynn which will open early 2020 with 303 suites and rooms, six restaurants and bars and two glass swimming pools.
- Work has started on the Wangetti Trail, an iconic long-distance trail between Palm Cove and Port Douglas taking in spectacular scenery from the World Heritage rainforest to the Great Barrier Reef.
- New exhibition space and meeting rooms are included in the $176 million refurbishment and expansion of the Cairns Convention Centre.
- Civil works have been undertaken for the $550 million Nova City, a luxurious residential and commercial development near the Cairns Convention Centre.
For more information, contact:
Communications Consultant Liz Inglis
M: 0419 643 494 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org