The following results are based in the QLD Business Events survey 2018/2019.
Cairns & Great Barrier Reef attracted 323 business events to the region resulting in a financial contribution of over $67M.
Cairns & Great Barrier Reef attracts 10% of all meetings within Queensland which commensurates with the capacity of the region.
Of all delegates 42% were international, 41% national and 17% from state or local.
Conversely, international delegate days accounted for 51%, followed by national at 36% and state or local at 13%.
74% of all meetings were from the corporate sector, followed by 15% from association and 11% from government
The primary focus is to ensure that Cairns & Great Barrier Reef is top of mind for event planners in the consideration and planning phases of the purchase cycle. This is achieved through targeted B2B destination marketing and ensuring that our region and industry makes it easy to do business with.
- The primary focus is the corporate market that annually represents over 60% of all business events held in the region. This market comprises of both incentive and meeting business.
- Association conferences represent up to 20% of the market and BEC&GBR play a support role to the Cairns Convention Centre who lead the research and bidding for this sector.
- Geographically our international focus aligns with aviation routes (China, Japan, North America and UK/Europe ) with the domestic focus on Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.
- Driving destination awareness through driving content to meeting planners through digital, social and print channels
- Connecting our members to the business events trade through coordination of trade shows/events, education programs and site inspections
- Attendance at international trade shows in partnership with Business Events Australia
- Providing assistance to meeting planners looking to hold events in the region , ranging from bid support to assistance with confirmed events
- Support delegate boosting activities that drive attendance and length of stay.
Working with Us
- Participate in destination trade activity including AIME, Regional Showcase and Sell TNQ
- Support site inspections and education opportunities as they arise
- Provide content for case studies, editorial and EDM’s.