Small Business Training
Businesses and startups in the tourism industry (or a related industry) located in Cairns, Yarrabah, the Cassowary Coast, Port Douglas, and the Daintree are invited to participate in the TNQ Tourism Small Business Development Program. The program is delivered in partnership with our Business Leaders Panel through workshops, webinars and one-on-one mentoring.
The topics are designed to assist new businesses and existing businesses that interact with the 2.7 million tourists visiting Tropical North Queensland every year. TTNQ members and non-members are welcome to participate.
The workshops and mentoring cover six areas: Funding Avenues and Financial Analysis, Building Your Business, Making the Most of Your Talent & Team, Management Capabilities, Digital Engagement & Implementation, and Tourism Ready. To keep up to date with new training workshops, sign up for our weekly updates.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible to take part in the TNQ Tourism Small Business Development Program your business must:
- Employ less than 20 full time employees
- Derive a significant portion of your revenue from tourists
- Operate in tourism related industries (eg. hospitality, retail, transport, sports and recreational that service tourists) or if you’d like to start up a brand new tourism related business, this program is also for you.
If you have more than 20 full time equivalent employees and would like assistance, there are other Northern Australia Tourism Initiative programs available. Check out the Entrepreneurs Program. Contact local representatives:
- Graham Bell, Business Adviser | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graham Poon, Business Facilitator | email@example.com
If you think you are not in tourism? The tourism industry is far more reaching than you think. For example, if your main industry is agriculture and you want to add a farm shop, a tour or an experience to share, we can support you. Your idea to add tourism to your existing business makes you a ‘business intender’ so sign up today.
For further information on grants and assistance available from the Australian Government please visit business.gov.au.
Are you not sure if you will benefit from this program? Check the current health of your business in a few minutes with our Business Health Checklist to see if there are any areas that could benefit from expert assistance. The Checklist is confidential and will not be reproduced anywhere.
Who Else Can Help?
An essential step to being successful in Small Business is building a strong team around you. Specifically for businesses in the Tourism industry, your Local Tourism Organisation or Association will be a beneficial connection:
- Tourism Port Douglas & Daintree
- Tropical Coast Tourism
- Tourism Palm Cove
- Trinity Beach Promotional Association
There are also other organisations that provide support, information and networking opportunities for every business:
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland
- Cairns Chamber of Commerce
- Douglas Chamber of Commerce
- Innisfail Chamber of Commerce
- Cardwell Chamber of Commerce
- Mission Beach Business & Tourism
- theSPACE Cairns
- Indigenous Business Australia
- Cairns Business Women’s Club
- Cassowary Coast Business Women’s Network
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme
For enquiries regarding the TNQ Tourism Small Business Development Program please Kelsey Andersen on firstname.lastname@example.org.